A scaffolder has received serious injuries after a scaffold tube he was lifting hit an overhead power line – sending 48,000 volts through his body.
Steven Gillmore the 36-year-old scaffolder also fell from height following the electric shock. He has remained in hospital in a serious but stable condition since the incident happened in Crawley on November 29.
“The injuries he sustained will result in life-changing conditions”, his partner Vicky Blackman said.
She has been travelling to the burns unit at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital to visit him where he remains receiving treatment.
Doctors are unsure of the severity of his internal burns and how much of his hands and arms are going to survive. But surgeons have said it will be a long and rough road to recovery for Steven.
One of his friends, Kieran Friend, 45, launched a fundraising campaign to help Mr Gilmore’s family as he remains in hospital.
So far over £14,000 has been raised in donations for the scaffolder and his family.
“I’m over the moon with the amount of money raised so far,” Mr Friend said to Kent Online.
“I never knew it would have gotten this high so thank you to all who have put in.
“But the more I think about things and his recovery – which is going to take months not weeks – the family will definitely need a lot more money than we have already raised.”
To donate to the fundraiser click here.